zondag 19 november 2023

Flashback: Trade Visit to Poland

Philippe & Mathilde presided a 6-day trade visit to Poland, the home country of Mathilde's mother, Countess Anne d'Udekem née Komorowska.

16 November 2003

Arrival in Poland. The couple were staying at the Royal Meridian Hotel in Warsaw.






17 November 2003

Crown Prince Philippe & Princess Mathilde with Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski & his wife Jolanta during their meeting in the presidential palace in Warsaw.




At the monument for the Unknown Soldier.



Performance of the youth ensemble Gaweda at the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw.







At the official gala dinner in the evening, Prince Philippe surprised both his wife and the rest of the audience by some romantic declarations about his Belgian-Polish wife:

Philippe: "Mathilde, when I came to Poland in 1998, you had already conquered a place in my heart. Since our marriage 4 years ago you've been a great support for me day after day and my source of happiness. You're my honest, sincere and faithful buddy and a great mother to our two children. Thank you Mathilde ! Thank you Poland !"




It was chef Pierre Wynants of Comme chez soi who cooked dinner for the 450 guests. Afterwards there was a Belgian fashion show.



18 November 2003

Visit to Poznan.






Visit to the University.





Mathilde also met with social workers and visited the Museum of Musical Instruments.

19 November 2003

Wreath laying ceremony at the Ghetto monument in Warsaw.




Visit to a nursery school for children with hearing problems. The school is located in the Sapieha Palace that used to belong the Mathilde's family, before it was seized by the communists.








Reception at the Belgian embassy.









20 November 2003

Visit to Lodz where the Belgian delegation arrived by train.





They were welcomed by the local voivode Krzysztof Makowski and his wife Dorota.







Arrived at the statue of poet Tuwim, both Philippe and Mathilde stroked the poet's nose, a local custom which means you will return to Lodz some day!




Afterwards the Princess was taken to the film school for a guided visit. 








Then it went on to the Biedermann Palace.


Lunch was served at restaurant Esplanada: melon & ham, tomato soup, Norwegian salmon and tiramisu as dessert.

At this point Mathilde returned home to be with her children Elisabeth (nearly 2) and baby Gabriel (3 months). Philippe finished the rest of the mission.

Off record, Mathilde talked to the Belgian journalists about her roots:

"Most of my Polish family moved to Belgium. I've come back here three times and I've seen huge changes the last years. Through the centuries, Poland has suffered immensely and when I visited Auschwitz I could still clearly feel the horrors of the war. Constantly new borders were imposed on this country, new rulers and new neighbours. But despite it all the Polish have survived. It are strong, friendly and hospitable people, who never complain. I think that's their big strength.
I'm proud of my background and I'm sorry and ashamed I don't speak the language. I woudn't have missed this mission. Only a pity we won't be visiting Krakow, the city in the South where my family comes from. It's the most beautiful spot in Poland.
Philippe and I will certainly be returning here, to show the country to our children. After all they're 1/4 Polish."

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Popular Posts